Thursday, 27 June 2013

Zombie - Better late than never!

Zombie Crawling The Walking Dead PS3
It's my kitchen and I'll bite if I want to

Last night I finally took the plunge and downloaded The Walking Dead on PSN. "Bit late?" I hear you say.. Well? I'm a little behind the times due to Azeroth and its evil gripping obsessive claw-like talons, but I thought "OK tonight, I've got my valor maxed so lets try something different!"

After spending what it felt like an eternity trying to remedy a slow connection to my new Virgin Superhub and without much success it finally allowed me to download the first episode. *Phew..*
First instinct was its was just another Telltale game like Sam & Max and the amazing Monkey Island, don't get me wrong great games and decent ports but something feels awkward about the control system on a console that makes point 'n' click games feel a little less fluent than if I had a mouse equipped. Anyway after the first 10-25mins of playing this game I was in awe all of a sudden. I think Telltales has finally cracked how to use a point 'n' click interface and succeeded with control fluency. I was gripped, although I became zombie chow a few times, in the spontaneous 'act now, not later' action sequences which left me on the edge of my seat it occurred to me I have been screaming out for an emotional response game in the style of Heavy Rain for some time, which still blows my mind to this very day.
I have to say I am very stoked with this gamble and makes a refreshing change as I seem to chuck money away on pointless games through PSN that very rarely get more than one or two sessions.

There seems to be a lot of Zombie games out over the last decade or two so here are my favourites.

(No particular order)

  • Resident Evil (PS One)
  • The Walking Dead (PS3)
  • Left for Dead 2 (PC)
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbours (SNES)
  • Left for Dead (PC)

With this new found love, I must now watch the series. Kudos Telltale Games!


No comments:

Post a Comment