So after a long day of work and not particularly in a Warcraft sort of mood last night, I found myself going through the steam deals and latest games. To my surprise Final Fantasy 7 was sitting there, staring at me like some kind of homeless puppy crying "give me a home, mister..".
I instantly flew back to 1997, in a pub with my best mate playing pool. I looked up at the Sports screen, and there was a TV spot for FF7 - Spurs were playing Derby later that night, both me and my dad had season tickets, we lost 2-1 and went crashing out of the league cup (Super Spurs eh..), but with knowledge that FF7 was coming out made that bitter pill easier to swallow. Well shortly after that dreadful night at the lane, I received FF7 for my birthday and still to this very day ranks in my all time top 10 games, infact its nestled in top 3 of that list. So needless to say I bit the bullet and bought it off of steam last night.
![]() |
| Log in to play FF7 from Steam.. |
After about 25mins it fully downloaded (1.2Gb) and installed only to find I have to have a Square Enix account as being logged into steam wasn't enough, you now need to log in twice to play a game. Luckily enough I had one already due to being part of the FF14 (PS3) Beta testing that is currently going on - more to follow on that. I'm guessing that this is to allow the new cloud save system via FF7, which I think is a godsend, I do remember way back then my memory card had a sissy fit and killed itself taking out all my saves including 40hrs+ on FF7. Nerd rage followed by a long "nooooooooo" but getting those 40hr+ back wasn't too bad, I loved this game more than any.
![]() |
| PS Version vs PC Steam Version |
For those who like achievements this now comes shipped with them 33+ and even ones for defeating Ruby and Ultimate weapon - for those who need 100% completion in RPG's. I could never take Ruby down, no time like the present to revenge all that sweet, tears and lost hours. I'm hoping that this does become popular on steam and may entice Square Enix to release 8 and 9 on Steam, especially with FF10 & FF10-2 HD coming to the PS3 in the near future..
Overall the game is brilliant and exactly how I remember it, and if you have never played FF7 this is the time to do it, but maybe wait until its on sale as £9.99 isn't a cheap gamble. Personally it was money well spend. I am almost certain that I will finish this completely again, its just one of those games that if you was around at its launch it altered the way you view games and was head and shoulders above the rest whilst it sat on it throne leaving its thumb print on you forever.



No comments:
Post a Comment